Students who came to Canada before completing Grade 9 and who cannot claim Grade 11 and/or 12 Language Credit or students who have obtained a very strong background in another language are encouraged to consider taking the Language Challenge Exam. The Delta School District in collaboration with the Coast-Metro Challenge Consortium offers students the opportunity to write Language Challenge Exams.
Please note: The Language Challenge Exam will meet the Language Entrance requirement for university. However, not all institutions will use the mark in the calculation for your entrance GPA (e.g. UBC and U of T will not use it in the calculation of your Academic GPA).
- September 2020
Information and application forms are available online
- October 2020
Applications need to be turned in to the BSS Counselling Centre
- January 23rd & 24th, 2021
The test is written at Delta Secondary School, 4615 – 51st Street, Ladner, BC
Students should be in grade 10 or 11 when they write the exam, in order to have the language requirement completed prior to applying for universities (however grade 12’s can still takes the exams). Any student considering the exam should discuss their options with a counsellor or ISP coordinator and read the “Frequently Asked Questions” section at the Delta website.
Courses available for challenge in 2021:
- French 11/12
- Japanese 11/12
- Korean 11/12
- Mandarin 11/12
- Punjabi 11/12
- Spanish 11/12
If you would like to complete a Language Challenge Exam, you MUST complete the following:
- Download the Student Application Package and fill it out completely.
- Attach a cheque for $50 (or $195.00 if you are an International student).
- Attach a recent, original photo of yourself (can be passport type or school photo) It CANNOT be a photocopy of a picture or a photo embedded into the application
- Submit the COMPLETED Application Package to Mr. McCuaig or Balfour in the
- Counselling Office by Friday, November 6, 2020
For further information, please see the following link: https://www.deltasd.bc.ca/schools/secondary/challenge-exams/