Students who came to Canada before completing Grade 9 and who cannot claim Grade 11 and/or 12 Language Credit or students who have obtained a very strong background in another language are encouraged to consider taking the Language Challenge Exam. The Delta School District in collaboration with the Coast-Metro Challenge Consortium offers students the opportunity to write Language Challenge Exams.
Please note: The Language Challenge Exam will meet the Language Entrance requirement for university. However, not all institutions will use the mark in the calculation for your entrance GPA (e.g. UBC and University of Toronto will not use it in the calculation of your Academic GPA).
- The Language Challenge Exam cannot be used to upgrade a previous mark.
- October 2021
Information and application forms are available online
- November 5, 2021
Applications need to be submitted online no later than November 5th.
- January 29th & 30th, 2022
The test is written at Delta Secondary School, 4615 – 51stStreet, Ladner, BC
Students should be in grade 10 or 11 when they write the exam, in order to have the language requirement completed prior to applying for universities (however grade 12’s can still takes the exams). Any student considering the exam should discuss their options with a counsellor or ISP coordinator and read the “Frequently Asked Questions” section at the Delta website.
Courses available for challenge in 2022:
|January 29th||January 30th|
|French 12||French 11|
|Japanese 11/12||Korean 11|
|Korean 12||Mandarin 12 (simplified)|
|Mandarin 11 (simplified)||Mandarin 12 (traditional)|
|Mandarin 11 (traditional)||Punjabi 11/12|
If you would like to complete a Language Challenge Exam, you MUST complete the following:
- Download the Student Application Packageand fill it out ONLINE
- Once completed PRINT a copy of your registration and bring it to the counselling Office
- Attach a recent, original photo of yourself (passport or school photo) It CANNOT be a photocopy of a picture or a photo embedded into the application
- If you are an International Student Attach a cheque for $ 195 payable to the Delta School District. If you are a regular student attach a $ 50 cheque payable to the Delta School District.
- Submit the COMPLETED Application Package to Mr. McCuaig or Ms. Zaragoza in the Counselling Office by Friday, November 5, 2021
- Results from the Examinations will be mailed in March of 2022
For further information, please see the following link: https://www.deltasd.bc.ca/schools/secondary/challenge-exams/